Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Bedford Falls, here we come

Quick, name the five longest movies you've ever watched.

Did It's a Wonderful Life show up? I was at Olaf's last night with Laurel and her neighbors, Alec and Val (a nice couple slightly older than us), and we got talking about Christmas movies. None of the three of them had ever watched It's a Wonderful Life all the way through. Laurel and Alec both have seen parts, but said it was too long to sit through the entire thing. Val has never seen any of it. I tried to explain that it's not that much longer than most movies, but most people think that because they only ever see it on cable, and the commercial breaks make it run for three hours, sometimes longer.

It's kind of unfair what cable has done to It's a Wonderful Life. On the one hand, having it on some channel somewhere almost every day from Thanksgiving through New Year's means that everyone has had a chance to see it, multiple times. On the other, it's almost turned it into a punch line. Which it doesn't deserve. It's a great movie, and it fully deserves the tremendous audience it's garnered over the past 70 years. And I, despite being the only one who wasn't imbibing, may have gotten a little obnoxious about not letting that go.

But I prevailed in the end. Sometimes persistence pays off. Laurel and I and Alec and Val are going to see It's a Wonderful Life tomorrow night at the Grand Illusion, uncut and uninterrupted, the way Frank Capra intended it when it was first released back in 1946. They run it at the Grand Illusion as a regular feature every December, and have for years. I've seen it there twice, though not in years. I haven't actually seen it on TV in at least 5-6 years.

So I'm jacked. I only hope no one notices if/when I start crying. Because I always do. Usually it's the part where Mary doesn't recognize George that sets me off. Plus or minus five minutes of that scene, anyway. Shhhhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment